Basic Spanish phrases for beginners
Anyone who is learning Spanish should learn some basic Spanish phrases for beginners in order to be able to converse with Spanish speakers.
Once you learn how to greet someone, ask how they are and a few basic questions, you will feel more confident in your Spanish speaking skills.
Having the ability to greet others is considered as essential in the Spanish culture. If you can greet someone properly and politely, this is considered as a great way in which to show respect to someone.
When learning a new language, it is important not to let shyness and lack of confidence get in the way. Don’t be concerned if you make mistakes – try to learn from them instead. Spanish people are normally very friendly and will not make you feel bad for making an error.
Below are a few common Spanish phrases that we recommend learning in order to become more fluent.
SPANISH GREETINGS AND GOODBYES:
- Hola – Hi / Hello
- Buenos días – Good morning
- Buenas tardes – Good afternoon
- Buonas noches – Good evening / Good night
- Adiós – Goodbye
- Hasta luego – See you later
- Hasta pronto – See you soon
- Hasta mañana – See you tomorrow
- ¿Qué tal? – How are you?
- Yo estoy bien, gracias. ¿Y tú? – I’m fine, thank you. And you?
- Estoy bastante bien – Quite good
- Estoy regular – So so
SPANISH PHRASES TO INTRODUCE YOURSELF:
- Encantado/a de conocerte – Nice to meet you
- Me llamo María – My name is Mary
- ¿Cómo te llamas? – What is your name?
- Yo soy de Madrid. ¿Y tú? – I’m from Madrid. And you?
- ¿De dónde eres? – Where are you from?
- Yo tengo 30 años. ¿Y tú? – I’m 30 years old. And you?
- ¿Cuántos años tienes? – How old are you?
- ¿De qué trabajas? – What do you do for living?
- ¿Dónde vives? – Where do you live?
BASIC SPANISH PHRASES FOR COMPLETE BEGINNERS:
- No entiendo – I don’t understand
- Puedes repetir, ¿por favor? – Could you repeat, please?
- ¿Qué significa? – What does it mean?
- ¿Cómo se dice … en español? – How do you say … in Spanish?
- ¿Hablas inglés? – Do you speak English?
Although it may seem like a lot to memorise, take your time and learn these Spanish phrases for beginners as well as you can. These easy Spanish phrases are the foundation of any good conversation!
Remember also to learn new words through our blog and try to practice Spanish with native Spanish speakers in order to improve your Spanish language skills. If you are making the effort to speak Spanish, this will not go unnoticed and your effort will be greatly appreciated. In time, you will know these basic Spanish words off by heart.
Now that you have learned a few Spanish phrases for beginners, you may want to consider expanding on your newfound skills by taking some Spanish lessons online with one of our tutors. We offer Spanish lessons via Skype and would be very happy to help you become fluent!