Are you in the process of learning Spanish as a second language? If so, you will probably have noticed that increasing your vocabulary is very important in order to have a conversation in Spanish. This article will help you along with some basic Spanish words with English translation.
Once you have learned a few basic Spanish phrases, your understanding of the language will improve and you will be motivated to want to learn some more advanced Spanish.
Although learning words and phrases can be quite time-consuming, it is well worth the effort because these are the foundations of your Spanish knowledge and, at a later stage, you could build on this knowledge with additional words, phrases and grammar.
Here is a very useful list of common Spanish words for you to memorize. As you work your way through this list, you will probably be quite surprised at how many words and phrases you already actually know!
List of basic Spanish words with English translation
- Hola – Hello, hi
- Adios – goodbye
- Buenos días – good morning
- Buenas tardes – good afternoon
- Buenas noches – good evening, good night
- ¿Cómo estás? – how are you?
- Bien, gracias – well, thanks
- ¿Cómo te llamas? – what’s your name?
- ¿De dónde eres? – where are you from?
- Encantado – pleased to meet you
- Hasta pronto – see you soon
- Hasta luego – see you later
- Hasta mañana – see you tomorrow
- ¡Gracias! – Thank you!
- ¡Muchas gracias! – Thank you very much!
- ¡De nada! – You’re welcome! / No problem!
- Por favor – Please (normally used at the end of a phrase)
- ¡Lo siento! – Sorry! (in case you make a mistake)
- ¡Disculpe! – Excuse me! (used to apologize in advance for being a bit of a bother)
- ¡Perdon! – Excuse me!
If you do not have a Spanish person to practice your newly-learned basic Spanish vocabulary with, you could always practice on your own by making up potential conversations using the above words.
Which words or phrases do you find the most useful for your particular situation, and why? Let us know as we would love to hear from you! We also recommend you to visit our common Spanish phrases for travel.
Now that you have a helpful list of basic Spanish words with English translation, you should be feeling more confident about your Spanish speaking abilities! We recommend practicing these words as often as you can so that it comes as second nature to you.
If you would like a more structured approach to learning Spanish, why not learn Spanish online with us? We offer high quality Spanish lessons online with friendly teachers. Contact us for more information!