Discovering how to say happy birthday and best wishes in Spanish is an essential part of your Spanish-learning journey.
Regardless of whether you are a complete novice, an intermediate level Spanish speaker or an expert, the time will come when you will need to wish someone congratulations for their birthday, marriage, new baby or excellent exam results. It always brings joy to someone else when you can express your positive thoughts about their birthday or milestone in their own language.
Congratulating another person for something can be tricky and nerve-wrecking if you have never done so in Spanish, but the good news is that offering best wishes in Spanish is quite easy to learn.
In Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries, birthdays follow a similar culture to that in the English-speaking parts of the world. This means that you will have the same giving of gifts, birthday parties and decorations as you would come to expect. That being said, there are certain differences that vary.
Below is a very useful list of all the types of ways in which to wish someone happy birthday and say congratulations in Spanish. As you will notice, it shouldn’t take you too long to memorise these special phrases and you will find that it will soon come in handy for you.
If you want to practise these words and phrases with a native and qualified Spanish teacher, remember that you can learn Spanish online with BlaBlaLang.
Happy birthday in Spanish:
- ¡Muchas felicidades! = Best wishes!
- ¡Feliz cumpleaños! = Happy birthday!
- Disfruta de tu día. = Enjoy your birthday.
- Espero que todos tus deseos se cumplan. = May all your wishes come true.
If you want to learn how to sing “Happy birthday” in Spanish, click here.
More congratulations in Spanish:
- ¡Feliz aniversario! = Happy anniversary!
- ¡Felicidades / Enhorabuena por vuestro bebé! = Congratulations on your new baby!
- ¡Enhorabuena por el resultado de tus exámenes! = Congratulations for your exam results!
- Qué tengas mucha suerte en el mundo laboral. = Good luck in the world of work.
- Te deseo lo mejor. = I wish you the best.
Now that you have learned how to say happy birthday in Spanish and have memorised these phrases, you will have something sweet, heartfelt and kind to say to someone on a special occasion.
Improving your Spanish vocabulary should not be done all at once but rather in increments as this will help you to retain the new words learned. People have birthdays and special events throughout the year so learning how to say happy birthday and best wishes in Spanish will certainly not be time wasted.