Friends are a fundamental part of life, as much or even more than romance. Thus, it is important we know some Spanish friendship phrases, as these will also help us to understand how the Spanish-speaking world thinks about these relationships.
SPANISH SAYINGS ABOUT FRIENDS
1. TE QUIERO(I LOVE YOU)
This “I love you” is not stated with a romantic purpose.
In fact, it turns out to be selfless –as friendship is purported to be.
You can also say Te quiero mucho (I love you so much), and the answer would be Yo también (Me too).
2. SOMOS AMIGOS/AMIGAS DE POR VIDA/PARA TODA LA VIDA(WE ARE FRIENDS FOR LIFE)
So, friendship is also a commitment that stands the test of time.
Some friendships could be stained by a small amount of selfishness, especially when we are pretty young. However, if affection is solid, these naturally occurring issues will be solved on their own.
3. ERES MI MEJOR AMIGO/AMIGA(YOU ARE MY BEST FRIEND)
At any age or stage of our lives, there is always someone who stands out, who comes to be the favorite person for you to be around.
This is the person who takes all your tantrums (or the one you care about enough to take his/hers).
These people may have interests in common, but their bonding can be as well follow mysterious ways.
We all have had -and could still be in touch- with our best friends, regardless of the distance and the paths each has taken over the years.
4. ERES MI APOYO(YOU ARE MY ROCK)
One of these Spanish friendship phrases highlights that we cannot get it all done only by ourselves: at times we need to get by with a little help from our friends.
And in the hardest times, when we face hard decisions to make, friends tell us to jump forward or refrain if that decision is pulling us off the cliff.
Friends act often as Jiminy Crickets of our own.
5. NO ME IMAGINO MI VIDA SIN TI (I CAN’T IMAGINE MY LIFE WITHOUT YOU)
It sounds like a very appropriate thing to say to people we care about, whether lovers or friends because they become part of our lives the way the glasses we put on or the shoes we wear are to us.
Yes, friends make up the background of our routine as well, and many times, when we are away from home, abroad, and homesick, going through thick and thin, we think of them.
6. GRACIAS POR ESTAR SIEMPRE AHÍ PARA MÍ(THANKS FOR ALWAYS BEING THERE FOR ME)
Friends do not set conditions or boundaries –or actually, they do, for our own sake, when the occasion arises–.
Feel sad and need to talk to or chat with someone after midnight?
That’s what friends are for, and it goes both ways. Friends are concerned about and look after each other, and will be the first standing before you when it is time for celebration.
SPANISH QUOTES ABOUT FRIENDS
7. QUIEN TIENE UN AMIGO, TIENE UN TESORO (THAT WHO HAS A FRIEND HAS A TREASURE)
This famous quote claims that a faithful friend is the greatest treasure you can have.
8. NO HAY SECRETOS ENTRE AMIGOS (NO SECRECY AMONG FRIENDS)
Friendship is by definition a relationship in which each wants the best for their counterparts.
This implies a degree of honesty perhaps not absent but certainly a tad bit rarified in romance and even with our relatives.
We don’t tell or get lovers and relatives involved in everything we do and intend to do. But friends will certainly listen and advise.
9. LOS AMIGOS VERDADEROS SON PARA TODA LA VIDA(TRUE FRIENDS ARE FOREVER)
Echoing the previously presented points about friends being there, being our rock, and staying with us forever, friendships are traditionally thought of as long-lasting relationships that may evolve and deepen over the years.
10. EN LA AMISTAD, LAS ALEGRÍAS SON EL DOBLE DE FELICES Y LAS PENAS LA MITAD DE TRISTES (IN FRIENDSHIP, JOYS ARE TWICE AS HAPPY AND SORROWS ARE HALF AS SAD)
Also drawing from what we have just learned, friends share their happy and not-so-happy moments, and will also remain friends no matter what.
Other important Spanish friendship phrases that revolve around similar ideas, along with their respective translation, are:
11. Los amigos son como las estrellas, no siempre podemos verlos pero siempre están ahí (Friends are like the stars, not always visible but always there)
Good friends are not only those you mingle with every single day but also those who will show up when they are needed.
12. Un buen amigo es alguien que te ama cuando has olvidado cómo amarte a ti mismo (A good friend is someone who loves you when you have forgotten how to love yourself)
Friends do nourish your self-esteem and self-appreciation, not the other way around.
13. Un amigo es el que intenta levantarte cuando te has caído. Si no logra levantarte, se acuesta a tu lado para escucharte (A friend will try to get you on your feet when you fall. If he fails, he will lay down on your side and will listen to you)
The bottom line is that empathy is at the core of friendship.
14. La vida te ofrece buenos amigos, pero para conseguirlos primero debes ser un buen amigo (Life tends good friends to you but to get them, you must be first a good friend yourself)
15. La amistad es el mejor regalo de la vida (Friendship is the best gift from life)
16. La historia de mi vida está escrita por mis mejores amigos (The story of my life is written by my best friends)
17. La verdadera amistad resiste el tiempo, la distancia y el silencio (True friendship stands time, distance and silence)
18. Los amigos tienen el remedio de algunos de tus males, el resto los tiene el chocolate (Friends are the solution for some of your issues, chocolate takes care of the rest)
19. La verdadera amistad no consiste en ser inseparables, sino en poder estar separados y que nada cambie (True friendship is not about being inseparable, but being separated and staying the same)
20. La vida sin amigos no merece la pena (A life without friends is worthless)
Now that you know these Spanish friendship phrases, why don’t you learn some flirting Spanish phrases with English translation?
So, what is best? Friendship? Love? We dare to state: both!
But it is important that we look after our friends as they do for us. At least that’s how Spanish speakers think.
Does it work the same way in your country? Anyway… cherish your friends!